Caution: Adults at play!
Grownups can feel like they carry the weight of the world on their shoulders. When everyday responsibilities and schedules consume an outsized part of life, it is even more important to carve out time for leisure. You can aim for a daily habit. If that feels like a heavy lift, find small ways to bring in a smattering of lightness throughout the week. Research shows that being playful is a key way to get more out of life.
Here are 10 tips to infuse a little playfulness into your life:
- Use unscheduled time to be creative, to daydream, reflect, and decompress.
- Appreciate playtime – whether it’s alone or with other adults or children.
- Smile and laugh often throughout the day.
- Try new things and experience the unexpected.
- Participate in a variety of arts/sports/activities whenever you can to expand your horizons.
- Make mental connections (e.g., “How else can I use this?” or “What else can this do?”).
- Sing and dance just for the fun of it.
- Spend time with the children in your life – observing them as they play, listening to their conversation, and following their trains of thought.
- Cultivate a happy, joyful, positive attitude, full of gratitude for even the smallest, everyday things.
- Plan to make play part of your day, whether it is indoor or outdoor, solo or social, active or quiet.
Source: The Genius of Play