Last updated: May 5, 2023
Sunny is a free digital platform built to inspire and facilitate the daily practice of real-world social connection. Sunny operates as Sunny LLC (“Sunny“, “us“, “we“, or “our”) and is an initiative of the Barnes Family Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating social innovation to create a world where everyone can thrive and flourish.
We value your trust and a key part of earning your trust is being upfront and clear about how we gather and use your information. It is our goal to use your data in ways that help you accomplish your goals. We created this Policy to inform you on how we collect your data, how we use it, conditions under which it might be shared, and your rights around the data. This Policy applies when you use our website (gosunny.org) (“Site”), our mobile application or “App,” and any other services provided by Sunny (collectively our “Services”).
This Policy works in conjunction with our Terms and Conditions https://www.gosunny.org/terms/ (“Terms”). Any capitalized terms used, but not defined, in this Policy have the meanings provided in the Terms. By accessing or using our Services, you agree to this Policy. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, please do not use our Services.
- How We Collect Personal Information
While using our Services we may collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you (“Personal Information”). This does not include aggregated or de-identified information that is maintained in a form that is not reasonably capable of being associated with or linked with you.
- Directly From You
You may provide us with Personal Information in several ways.
- Account Creation: Your name, email, phone number, and other relevant information when you create an account. We may also collect information relating to the actions that you perform while logged into your account.
- Interactive Features: If you use our interactive features, such as doing a daily challenge, completing an action, or asking for reminders, we may collect your participation information.
- Support: If you contact us for assistance or support, we may collect your name, email address, phone number or any other content that you send us.
- Mailing List Subscription: If you subscribe to our publications, such as mailing list, blog or newsletters, we will collect information such as your email, mobile phone number, or postal address.
- Participation in contests, promotions, sweepstakes, and surveys: If you choose to participate in our contests, surveys, promotions, or sweepstakes, we will collect information provided by you such as survey responses and contact information.
- Interaction with our social media accounts: We may collect information from your social media account if you interact with our social media accounts.
- You may have the ability to enter your contacts, either manually or by importing them from your mobile device or computer for your individual use only. Sunny will not use this information for its own purposes.
- Information Collected Automatically
- Usage Information: Whenever you use our Services, we collect usage information, such as the sessions you use, videos you view or content you listen to, what screens or features you access, and other similar types of usage information
- Log Data: When you use our Services, whether as a registered user or a non-registered user, our servers may automatically record information that your browser sends when you use our Services (“Log Data“). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP“) address, browser type, browser software version or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages viewed, app version, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics.
- Mobile Devices: We may collect information from your mobile device, such as unique identifying information broadcast from your device when visiting our Services.
- Location Data: When you use our Services, we may ask for your permission to collect your location data. Some features within our Services may only function upon confirmation of your location, and therefore such features will not be available if you choose not to provide your location data. The specificity of the location data may depend on several factors, including the device you are using and how you are connected to the Internet. If you enable location services for our Services, we may collect location data periodically as you use or leave open our Services. Depending on the platform you use to access our mobile applications you may be able to control whether location data is collected with certain settings on your device.
- Pixel Tags.Pixel tags (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or clear GIFs) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, though, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages, not stored on your hard drive. We might use clear GIFs to track the activities of users of our Site, help us manage content, and compile statistics about usage.
- DO NOT TRACK. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether you intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether you even are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, we currently do not act in response to these signals, but we do comply with clearly stated requests such as cookie preferences.
- Sensitive Personal Information
We generally do not collect sensitive personal information about you, such as:
- Your social security number
- Your racial or ethnic origin
- Your political opinions
- Your religion or other beliefs
- Your health, biometric or genetic characteristics
- Your mental or physical health conditions
- Your sex life or sexual relationship
- Your citizenship or citizenship status
- Any trade union membership
- Any criminal background
There are rare situations when we request this information (e.g., questionnaires or surveys asking about your use and interaction with the Services), but you can decline to answer.
- Information We May Collect from Other Sources
- Activity and Usage Information: We may receive information from third parties, such as technical service and analytics providers, on your interests, browsing behavior, and other navigation data, such as websites visited, to customize content.
- Public Information: We may receive and display information which you make publicly available on your social media account or when you interact with any of our content (such as entering sweepstakes, giveaways, contests, and requesting information from us).
- Social Media Services: Some of our Services may include features that are designed to interact with social media platforms and other third-party services (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). If you access the Services using one of these social media platforms or other third-party services, we may receive information about you from those third parties such as account and profile data.
III. How We Use Your Information
Sunny uses the information you provide or that we collect from and about you for the purpose of developing, operating, maintaining, enhancing, and providing our Services, including the following:
- To enable you to access and use our Site and App;
- To customize or personalize your experience using our Services;
- To contact and communicate with you;
- To understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way the Services look and work, and to create new features and functionality.
- To prevent fraud;
- To facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide your information and consent;
- To comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements
- As necessary if we believe there has been a breach of the Terms or the rights of any third-party
- Email Communications
If you sign up for our mailing list or subscribe to our content online, we will add you to our mailing lists for email communications from us and our partners. You are always free to opt out by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails regardless of how you have provided us your email address for marketing purposes. Please note that even if you opt-out of receiving commercial emails, you may still receive account-related emails, such as actions taken on your account, updates to our online policies, and other transactional communications.
- Text Messaging
We may also ask for your consent to receive text message communications from us. To do so, you must affirmatively opt-in to such messages. You may then opt-out of receiving such text messages from us—promotional, transactional, or otherwise—by replying STOP to any text message you receive from us. Message and data rates may apply.
- How We Share Your Information
In addition to the specific situations discussed elsewhere in this policy, we may disclose your Personal Information in the following situations:
- Service Providers: We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Services, to provide the Services on our behalf, to improve our Services and to perform Site-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics, fraud detection and improvement of the Site’s features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Site and Services are used. These third parties will only have access to your Personal Information to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
- Analytics and Search Engine Providers: We may share Personal Information with analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of the Service.
- Feedback: We may collect feedback from you about your experience to compare your experience with other users of the Services to improve the quality of the Services. This feedback is the property of Sunny, and we reserve the right to share it with any third-party.
- Conditions for Disclosures Without Your Consent: We may disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws. We reserve the right to share your information in the event of an emergency, to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or act regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, the safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies.
- Acquisition, merger, or bankruptcy: Sunny reserves the right to sell, transfer, or otherwise share some or all its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy.
- Organizations and Groups: Sunny may share certain Personal Information and other information about users who are referred to or join Sunny by third party organizations or groups with such parties.
Deidentified and Aggregate Information: We may also share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose non-identifying information and Log Data with to parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling, and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
- Social Media
You may be able to use social sharing features and other integrated tools on the Site and App such as the Facebook “Like” button. These features and tools may permit you to share actions you take on our Service with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the service that provides the social sharing feature. If you use social sharing feature on the Services, both Sunny and social media services may have access to certain information about you and your use of both our Services and theirs. If you are a member of a social media site and logged in, the interfaces configured on our Services may allow the social media site to connect your use of our Services to the personal data held on your social media site.
In addition, we may request your permission to a) access and collect information publicly available from your social networking account; and b) post information to your friends’ newsfeeds. When you connect your social networking service with your Sunny account, you authorize us to access certain information about you from your social networking service to provide content and services, including to help us tailor our communications to you and to develop rich online content and services across the Services. The information we may access from your social networking services is governed by the privacy policies and settings of those third-party services.
- Your Privacy Rights
The below lists the categories of Personal Information we have collected through our Services in the past 12 months. Some of our Services work differently than others, as such your use of the Services may differ from other users and this list is likely to be overinclusive:
- Identifiers.Ex: Name, postal address, Internet Protocol address, email address, or other similar identifiers.
- Customer Records Information.Ex: Name, address, telephone number.
- Internet or Other Similar Electronic Network Activity.Ex. Related browsing history, search history, or information regarding a consumer’s interaction with a website or application
- Geolocation DataEx. precise or approximate location determined from your IP address or mobile device’s GPS
- Inferences drawn from other Personal Information.Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
We collect the above information for the purpose of giving you an optimal access and user experience on our Site and App. This information enables us to provide access to our Services, enables customer research and feedback programs, and analytics.
- Right to Access, Delete, Change, or Update Your Personal Information
Some jurisdictions grant additional data privacy rights, such as the right to:
- Access, modify, or delete the Personal Information we have about you
- Receive an electronic copy of the Personal Information we have about you, for data portability
- Restrict, or object to, how we process Personal Information about you
- Not receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of your privacy rights.
You have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Information based on our legitimate interest or that of a third party — unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing of, or the keeping of, your Personal Information for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims.
- Exercising Your Data Privacy Rights
You can exercise your data privacy rights by contacting us at:
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Send a letter to the following address: Sunny LLC Data Privacy Request PO Box 1334 Bethlehem, PA 18016
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may exercise your privacy rights. You may only exercise the Right to Access twice within a twelve (12) month period.
To exercise the Right to Access, Right to Delete, or Right to Rectification you must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative, which may include: Your name, address, or email address on file.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
If you are logged into your account on the App, your request will be automatically verified.
We can only respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we can verify your identity or authority to make the request. We will only use the Personal Information provided in the request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make it.
You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your data privacy rights.
To designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, please provide the agent with written permission, signed by you, authorizing the agent to submit the request on your behalf.
The designated agent must submit that written permission along with the request. We will contact you to verify your identity — and the authorized agent’s permission — before a response to the request is sent.
Once we receive a request, we will respond in a manner consistent with the applicable law.
We might need to keep certain information for recordkeeping purposes, or to complete a transaction you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., if you enter a promotion, you might not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion of the promotion).
- Right to Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information
Sunny has not sold Personal Information in the preceding twelve (12) months and will not sell Personal Information at any time in the future. As such, Sunny does not have an opt-out mechanism.
- Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any of your rights.
- How We Protect Your Information
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. As such, Sunny uses standard physical, technical, and administrative measures designed to reduce risk of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification of your Personal Information.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where you have chosen a password for access to certain parts of our Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to our Services. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained within the Services.
VII. Data Processing
Sunny is based in the United States and collects, maintains, and processes information collected from users on the Site and App and in connection with the Services, in the United States, which may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
VIII. Data Retention
We retain Personal Information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed unless applicable law requires storage for a longer period of time.
- Links to Third Party Websites
Our Services, email updates, and other communications may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of others, including our partner networks, advertisers, and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
- Note Regarding Children
Our Site, App, and Services are intended for a general audience and are not directed at persons under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect information from persons under 18. If you are a parent or guardian of a minor who is under 16 years old and using our Services, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request and arrange for deletion of any Personal Information we may have collected about the minor. For privacy reasons we may request proof of relationship to the minor.
- How Changes to this Policy Will Be Communicated
We periodically update this Policy from time to time. When we update the Policy, we will notify you by updating the “Effective Date” date at the top of this Policy, posting the new Policy, and providing any other notice required by applicable law.
We recommend that you review the Policy each time you visit the Site to stay informed of our privacy practices. If you do not agree or consent to these updates or changes, do not continue to use our Services.
XII. How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Policy, please email us at email@example.com or write us at:
Sunny LLC PO Box 1334 Bethlehem, PA 18016